stats
ctvnews.com
The Globe and Mail
globeandmail.com
spaceHome   spaceHomespace
spacer
spacer
Attack on the U.S. For the latest breaking news go to globeandmail.com or ctvnews.com
spacer
space
The Globe and Mail

  Article Search
space
  
space
   Quick Searches     Tips
space
space
MAIN PAGEarrow
Line
STRIKING BACKarrow
Line
HOMEFRONTarrow
Line
BIOTERRORISMarrow
Line
CANADA'S ROLEarrow
Line
FROM THE FRONTLINEarrow
Line
ANALYSISarrow
Line
COMMENTarrow
Line
HUMAN IMPACTarrow
Line

VIDEO ARCHIVEarrowLine
INTERACTIVEarrowLine
PHOTOSarrowLine
RESOURCESarrow
Line
HAVE YOUR SAYarrow
Line

THE AFTERMATH
Line
Business Impactarrow
Suspectsarrow
Builduparrow
Recoveryarrow
The Investigationarrow
Line

HOW IT BEGAN
Line
What happened?arrow
In New Yorkarrow
In Washingtonarrow
In Canadaarrow
Around the worldarrow
Eyewitness accountsarrow
Wall St. paralyzedarrow

Line



ATTACK ON THE U.S.

Saturday, Feb. 4, 2006

U.S. President George W. Bush looks down as he makes a statement regarding the terrorist acts upon the World Trade Center Tuesday. Photo: Chris O'Meara/AP
Photo: Chris O'Meara/AP
U.S. President George W. Bush looks down as he makes a statement regarding the terrorist acts upon the World Trade Center Tuesday.
Bush vows to 'hunt down and punish those responsible'

By RICHARD BLOOM
Globe and Mail Update with Reuters
Tuesday, September 11, 2001

U.S. President George W. Bush vowed swift revenge on the terrorists that unleashed the deadly attacks on New York and Washington Tuesday, saying "the United States will hunt down and punish those responsible for these cowardly acts."

Speaking via tape from Barksdale Air Force Base, La. Tuesday before 1 p.m. EDT, Mr. Bush said the government has taken all appropriate security precautions to protect the American people.

Mr. Bush said the U.S. military had been put on "high alert status" and said he had taken security precautions to ensure the functioning of the U.S. government.

The remarks were part of the President's second official statement following the attacks, which began early Tuesday morning, around 8:45 a.m. EDT.

Mr. Bush spoke briefly from Florida during the immediate moments after the planes crashed into the World Trade Center, calling the moves an apparent terrorist attack.

Mr. Bush left Barksdale Air Force Base for Nebraska's Offutt Air Force Base at 1:37 p.m. EDT. Mr. Bush was at Barksdale after departing from Florida earlier Tuesday. U.S. officials said he would fly back to Washington, D.C. later on Tuesday night and was expected to make another public statement at that point.

"The resolve of our great nation is being tested, make no mistake, we will show the world we will pass this test," he said. "This is a very difficult moment for America," Mr. Bush said.

"Today we've had a national tragedy," Mr. Bush.

Mr. Bush said he has spoken to Vice-President Dick Cheney as well as the governor of New York and the director of the FBI.

The full resources of the federal government, he said, will go to help the victims and their families.

"Terrorism against our nation will not stand," he said, calling for a moment of silence. "May God bless the victims, their families and America."

This is the second attack on the World Trade Center, which was struck by a bomb in 1993.





 PHOTOS

Life Goes On
space

SPECIAL
Voices From After the Fall, The Facts Behind the Fear, and the preview of a new Discovery documentary filmed at Ground Zero.


VIDEO






spaceTHE LATEST:
(RealPlayer required)

space
  • Six-month Memorial for Sept. 11 - U.S. President George Bush speaks from the White House. "The terrorists will remember Sept. 11 as the day their reckoning began," he said.

  • In Canada - Relatives of Canadian victims of the World Trade Centre attacks wonder why there's no six-month memorial here at home.

    CTVNEWS.com video reports



  • Copyright 2001 Globe Interactive, a division of Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc.
    Help & Contact Us | Back to the top of this page


    spacer
    [an error occurred while processing this directive]