stats
ctvnews.com
The Globe and Mail
globeandmail.com
spaceHome   spaceHomespace
spacer
spacer
Attack on the U.S. For the latest breaking news go to globeandmail.com or ctvnews.com
spacer
space
The Globe and Mail

  Article Search
space
  
space
   Quick Searches     Tips
space
space
MAIN PAGEarrow
Line
STRIKING BACKarrow
Line
HOMEFRONTarrow
Line
BIOTERRORISMarrow
Line
CANADA'S ROLEarrow
Line
FROM THE FRONTLINEarrow
Line
ANALYSISarrow
Line
COMMENTarrow
Line
HUMAN IMPACTarrow
Line

VIDEO ARCHIVEarrowLine
INTERACTIVEarrowLine
PHOTOSarrowLine
RESOURCESarrow
Line
HAVE YOUR SAYarrow
Line

THE AFTERMATH
Line
Business Impactarrow
Suspectsarrow
Builduparrow
Recoveryarrow
The Investigationarrow
Line

HOW IT BEGAN
Line
What happened?arrow
In New Yorkarrow
In Washingtonarrow
In Canadaarrow
Around the worldarrow
Eyewitness accountsarrow
Wall St. paralyzedarrow

Line



IN WASHINGTON

Saturday, Feb. 4, 2006

Last to leave Vietnam missing in Pentagon

By COLIN FREEZE, The Globe and Mail
Monday, September 17, 2001

The last U.S. soldier to leave Vietnam is believed to have died in the attack on the Pentagon.

Retired Master Sergeant Max Beilke was missing, presumed to be among those lying dead in the rubble of the defence headquarters, where he worked improving life for veterans.

Sgt. Beilke was listed by the U.S. Army as the last combat soldier to leave Saigon. The fall of Saigon to the North Vietnamese Army and the evacuation of the U.S. embassy occurred in 1975, but the official troop withdrawal, and Sgt. Beilke's historic place in it, was on March 29, 1973.

Many years later Sgt. Beilke, 69, was working on behalf of many of those with whom he had served, tackling veterans issues at the Pentagon. Every day he called his wife, Lisa, at 10 a.m. sharp. On Tuesday he did not call.

A general visited her on Wednesday and told her he had been to hospitals but could not find her husband.

The Times of London



 PHOTOS

Life Goes On
space

SPECIAL
Voices From After the Fall, The Facts Behind the Fear, and the preview of a new Discovery documentary filmed at Ground Zero.


VIDEO






spaceTHE LATEST:
(RealPlayer required)

space
  • Six-month Memorial for Sept. 11 - U.S. President George Bush speaks from the White House. "The terrorists will remember Sept. 11 as the day their reckoning began," he said.

  • In Canada - Relatives of Canadian victims of the World Trade Centre attacks wonder why there's no six-month memorial here at home.

    CTVNEWS.com video reports



  • Copyright 2001 Globe Interactive, a division of Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc.
    Help & Contact Us | Back to the top of this page


    spacer
    [an error occurred while processing this directive]