Skip navigation

98 die in Indonesian plane crash

Associated Press

MAGETAN, Indonesia — An Indonesian military plane carrying more than 100 people crashed into a row of houses and burst into flames, killing at least 98, the latest in a string of accidents plaguing the air force's beleaguered fleet.

Local television flashed footage of fire engulfing the mangled wreckage of the aging C-130 Hercules. Black smoke billowed in the air, as soldiers carried the injured on stretchers to waiting ambulances.

Military spokesman Sagom Tamboen said the plane was transporting troops and their families, including at least 10 children, when it tumbled from the sky near an air force base in East Java province. It slammed into several houses in Geplak village, killing three on the ground, and then skidded into a rice field.

It was not clear what caused the crash.

But air force spokesman Bambang Sulistyo said the plane was nearly 30 years old and several witnesses described seeing its right wing fall off while it was still in the air.

“I heard at least two big explosions and saw flashes of fire inside the plane,” said Lamidi, a 41-year-old peasant who was working in his rice field. “The wing snapped off and fell to the ground.”

Mr. Sulistyo said the plane was carrying 109 passengers and crew when it went down 520 kilometres east of the capital, Jakarta. At least 15 people survived, Mr. Sulistyo said, many with bad burns.

The country's air force has long complained of being underfunded and handicapped by a recently lifted U.S. ban on weapons sales. It has suffered a series of accidents, including a C-130 last month that prompted officials to carry out an investigation into its aging fleet.

The air force has operated C-130s since the early 1960s, when it received a batch of 10 in exchange for the release of a CIA bomber pilot shot down in 1958 while supporting an anti-government mutiny.

About 40 of the planes, considered the backbone of the transport wing, were inducted into the air force inventory over the next 20 years. Many were secondhand machines provided as military aid by the United States.

After the Clinton administration introduced sanctions on military deliveries following the bloodshed in East Timor in 1999, however, the air force complained that many of the planes quickly became unserviceable because of the lack of spare parts.

A number were reportedly cannibalized for parts and — although the embargo was lifted by the Bush administration — it remains unclear how many are airworthy now.

Recommend this article? 3 votes

Back to top