Computer Associates recently published its Internet Security Report listing the top threats of the year. Among the most important areas of risk:
- Botnets, a large number of computers that have been infected by a piece of malicious software, are decentralizing via peer-to-peer architectures and using instant messaging to spread.
- Now that companies are using virtualization software to get more out of their IT infrastructure, malware makers are aiming at them, CA researchers say.
- Social networking sites like Facebook could offer a “windfall” to cybercriminals, according to CA, because there are so many potential victims in the same place. Keep this in mind if you allow the use of such services in the office.
- Although Microsoft says it has never designed a safer OS than Vista, CA points out there have been 20 vulnerabilities announced so far.
- Most likely moments for a cyberattack include the U.S. election and the Beijing Olympics.