Continued from Page 1…
Jan. 30, 1990 -- Citizens Alliance for a Public Inquiry into the Air-India Disaster claims RCMP are blocking its bid for a public inquiry.
May, 1991 -- Mr. Reyat is convicted in Vancouver of manslaughter and four explosives charges related to the Narita airport bombing. Liberal MP John Nunziatia says RCMP know who bombed the plane but don't have evidence needed for prosecution.
June 22, 1991 -- The editor of an Indo-Canadian newspaper says the people who had a bomb placed aboard Air-India are well known within Vancouver's Sikh community. Among them are the people who took the bombs to the airport and checked in the luggage that contained the bomb. The editor says the killers are prospering, moving into bigger houses, and thriving in the community. He says police also know the names of those involved, and speculates that charges have not been laid because Crown lawyers are afraid that if one case is not proved beyond a reasonable doubt, judges may throw out all subsequent charges.
Oct. 15, 1992 -- Key Air-India bombing suspect Talwinder Singh Parmar, who returned to India after Mr. Reyat's arrest in 1988, dies after a battle with Indian police.
Feb. 3, 1994 --Solicitor-General Herb Gray says a royal commission into the air disaster hasn't been ruled out, but declines to order one.
April 13, 1994 -- RCMP say they have spent $20-million on the Air-India investigation, and are still working on the case.
May 17, 1995 -- Federal authorities say they believe the Air-India bombing was carried out by six to eight people involved in the fight for an independent Sikh state, and that the bomb was timed to explode on the ground, but went off in the air because Flight 182 left Montreal one hour and 38 minutes late. Later that month, RCMP announce a $1-million reward for help catching Air-India bombers.
Dec. 11, 1996 -- RCMP announce that they expect to lay charges against several suspects in the bombing within a few months. No charges are laid.
April 14, 1997 -- RCMP announce they are pushing back completion date of a probe into the Air-India case until early fall.
Oct. 15, 1998 -- RCMP announce they have handed their Air-India report to British Columbia's Crown counsel office, which may allow them to bring charges in the bombing.
Jan. 26, 2000 -- A former CSIS agent tells The Globe and Mail that a turf war between his agency and the RCMP led him to destroy taped interviews with Air-India sources rather than hand them over to his rivals at the RCMP.
June 19, 2000 -- Days before the 15th anniversary of the Air-India tragedy, an official with B.C.'s Ministry of the Attorney-General says a team of 12 prosecutors is moving closer to deciding whether the evidence gathered so far warrants charges, but cautions that "nothing is imminent or pending." John Nunziata, an Independent member of Parliament who has continued his crusade for an Air-India inquiry for more than a decade, says the Air-India bombing is "off the radar screen in Ottawa."
June 26, 2000 -- Documents obtained by The Globe and Mail reveal that police have identified a third suspect in the Air-India investigation. The documents indicate that a link has been established between the suspect and Mr. Reyat, who is still in prison after being convicted in connection with the Narita airport bombing. Although police do not name the suspect, they say he has significant financial ties to Mr. Reyat's family.
Oct. 27, 2000 -- Ripudaman Singh Malik, 53, and Ajaib Singh Bagri, 51, are arrested and charged with the murder of 329 people.
December, 2000, January, 2001 -- Bail hearings for the accused; bail denied.
May 22, 2001 -- Court imposes publication ban on pretrial proceedings.
June 5, 2001 -- Inderjit Singh Reyat is arrested and charged with murder in connection with the Air-India bombing.
Dec. 5, 6 and 7, 2001 -- Mr. Reyat asks court to consider charges against him separately.
April 29, 2002 -- Most of Mr. Reyat's lawyers withdraw from the case.
May 9, 2002 -- Trial now to begin with jury selection March 31, 2003.