Globeandmail.com

Trump threatens Turkey with sanctions over Syrian attacks
space
Days after President orders troops out, U.S. calls for an end to invasion of Kurdish territory as Pence heads to region to negotiate ceasefire with Erdogan
space
space
By ROBERT BURNS
space
ASSOCIATED PRESS
space
Tuesday, October 15, 2019 – Print Edition, Page A1


WASHINGTON -- Targeting Turkey's economy, U.S. President Donald Trump announced sanctions on Monday aimed at restraining the Turkish assault against Kurdish fighters and civilians in Syria - an assault Turkey began after Mr. Trump announced he was moving U.S. troops out of the way.

The United States also called on Turkey to stop the invasion, and Mr. Trump is sending Vice-President Mike Pence to the region in an attempt to begin negotiations. Mr. Pence said Mr. Trump spoke directly to Turkish leader Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

"President Trump communicated to him very clearly that the United States of America wants Turkey to stop the invasion, implement an immediate ceasefire and to begin to negotiate with Kurdish forces in Syria to bring an end to the violence," Mr. Pence said.

The Americans were scrambling for Syria's exits, a move criticized at home and abroad as opening the door to a resurgence of the Islamic State group, whose violent takeover of Syrian and Iraqi lands five years ago was the reason U.S. forces went there in the first place.

Mr. Trump said the approximately 1,000 U.S. troops who had been partnering with local Kurdish fighters to battle the Islamic State in northern Syria are leaving the country. They will remain in the Middle East, he said, to "monitor the situation" and to prevent a revival of the Islamic State - a goal that even Mr.

Trump's allies say has become much harder as a result of the U.S. pullout.

Turkey began attacks in Syria last week against the Syrian Kurdish fighters, whom Turkey sees as terrorists.

On Monday, Syrian government troops moved north toward the border region, setting up a potential clash with Turkish-led forces.

Mr. Trump said Turkey's invasion is "precipitating a humanitarian crisis and setting conditions for possible war crimes," a reference to reports of Turkish-backed fighters executing Kurdish fighters on the battlefield.

Kurdish forces previously allied with the U.S. said they had reached a deal with President Bashar al-Assad's government to help them fend off Turkey's invasion, a move that brings Russian forces deeper into the conflict.

In his sanctions announcement, Mr. Trump said he was halting trade negotiations with Turkey and raising steel tariffs. He said he would soon sign an order permitting sanctions to be imposed on current and former Turkish officials.

"I am fully prepared to swiftly destroy Turkey's economy if Turkish leaders continue down this dangerous and destructive path," Mr. Trump said.

Meanwhile, the Canadian government has "temporarily suspended new export permits to Turkey," Global Affairs Canada said in a statement on Monday.

"Canada firmly condemns Turkey's military incursion into Syria. This unilateral action risks undermining the stability of an already-fragile region, exacerbating the humanitarian situation and rolling back progress achieved by the Global Coalition Against Daesh, of which Turkey is a member," Global Affairs Canada said.

"We call for the protection of civilians and on all parties to respect their obligations under international law, including unhindered access for humanitarian aid."

American troops consolidated their positions in northern Syria on Monday and prepared to evacuate equipment in advance of a full withdrawal, a U.S. defence official said.

The official, who was not authorized to be quoted by name, said U.S. officials were weighing options for a potential future counter-Islamic State campaign, including the possibility of waging it with a combination of air power and special operations forces based outside of Syria, perhaps in Iraq.

The hurried preparations for a U.S. exit were triggered by Mr.

Trump's decision on Saturday to expand a limited troop pullout into a complete withdrawal.

U.S. Defence Secretary Mark Esper said on Monday that he would travel to NATO headquarters in Brussels next week to urge European allies to impose "diplomatic and economic measures" against Turkey - a fellow NATO ally - for what Mr. Esper called Ankara's "egregious" actions.

Mr. Esper said Turkey's incursion had created unacceptable risk to U.S. forces in northern Syria and "we also are at risk of being engulfed in a broader conflict."

The only exception to the U.S.

withdrawal from Syria is a group of perhaps 200 troops who will remain at a base called Tanf in southern Syria near the Jordanian border along the strategically important Baghdad-to-Damascus highway. Those troops work with Syrian opposition forces unrelated to the Kurdish-led fighters in northern Syria.

Mr. Esper said the U.S. withdrawal would be done carefully to protect the troops and to ensure that no U.S. equipment was left behind. He declined to say how long that might take.

In a series of tweets on Monday, Mr. Trump defended his gamble that pulling U.S. forces out of Syria would not weaken U.S. security and credibility. He took sarcastic swipes at critics who say his Syria withdrawal amounts to a betrayal of the Kurds and plays into the hands of Russia. "Anyone who wants to assist Syria in protecting the Kurds is good with me, whether it is Russia, China, or Napoleon Bonaparte," he wrote. "I hope they all do great, we are 7,000 miles away!"

Mr. Trump has dug in on his decision to pull out the troops, believing it fulfills a key campaign promise and will be a winning issue in the 2020 election, according to White House officials.

This has effectively ended a five-year effort to partner with Syrian Kurdish and Arab fighters to ensure a lasting defeat of IS.

Hundreds of IS supporters escaped a holding camp amid clashes between invading Turkish-led forces and Kurdish fighters, and analysts said an IS resurgence seemed more likely, just months after Mr. Trump declared the extremists defeated.

Republican Senate Leader Mitch McConnell, normally a staunch Trump supporter, said he was "gravely concerned" by events in Syria and Mr. Trump's response so far.

Withdrawing U.S. forces from Syria "would re-create the very conditions that we have worked hard to destroy and invite the resurgence of ISIS," he said in a statement. "And such a withdrawal would also create a broader power vacuum in Syria that will be exploited by Iran and Russia, a catastrophic outcome for the United States' strategic interests."

Associated Graphic

A Syrian soldier waves a flag at Tal Tamr in northeastern Syria on Monday. Syrian forces moved toward the Turkish border after Damascus struck a deal to defend beleagured Kurdish fighters.

DELIL SOULEIMAN/AFP VIA GETTY IMAGES

A Turkish tank moves along a road toward the country's border with Syria on Monday. U.S. Defence Secretary Mark Esper says Ankara's incursion has created unacceptable risk to U.S. forces in northern Syria.

EMRAH GUREL/ ASSOCIATED PRESS

Thursday, October 17, 2019


Copyright © 2003 Bell Globemedia Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.