The Globe and Mail
Saturday, March 25, 2000
An RCMP investigation of allegations that Saskatoon police may have dumped
native men outside town to freeze has led to a broader investigation of
complaints against Mounties.
Sergeant Rick Wychreschuk said last night that the RCMP has received three
complaints of abandonment, a term applied to cases in which someone is left
where he or she does do not want to be.
All three date back at least a decade, he said. "I just have some details of
one where it's alleged that RCMP officers may have taken a person and left him
outside a town. That one dates back 20 years."
He would not name the town but confirmed that "in the one case, yes, it was
winter." He said he did not know what happened to the man. "Right now I don't
have those details. It's under investigation."
Sgt. Wychreschuk, who is based in Regina, was designated to speak for 13
investigators looking into at least 25 complaints of misconduct by Mounties in
Saskatchewan. He could provide no details of the two other abandonment
He said the investigation was launched this month when complaints against
Mounties began turn up on a toll-free line established by an RCMP task force
investigating the Saskatoon allegations.
That task force, 19 investigators at its peak, was assigned to look into the
deaths of five native men and a complaint by one who did not die, Darrell Night,
who said he was abandoned by Saskatoon police on the outskirts of the city in
sub-zero temperatures in January without a coat and told to walk home.
Earlier this week, the task force said it had investigated Mr. Night's
complaint and submitted the results to Saskatchewan prosecutors for a decision
on whether charges should be laid against two Saskatoon officers, Constables Ken
Munson and Dan Hatchen, now suspended from duty.