· Former United Nations peacekeeper with the Canadian Armed Forces Signal Corps with several tours of active duty in the Middle East
· Graduated from college specializing in electronics and telecommunications and became a computer professional in the early days of the personal computer revolution
· Many years of senior managerial experience in a broad range of computer, engineering and scientific research and development companies
· As an active member of the Computer Information Professional Society's Vancouver Security SIG, considered one of B.C.’s top Internet security specialists
· As Executive Director of Airspace Non-Smokers' Rights Society, played a significant role in making British Columbia the top clean indoor air province in Canada.
· A recent amputee, is a volunteer peer counsellor at the G.F. Strong Rehabilitation facility and an active participant on the New Democratic Party Disabled Rights Committee
· Active in communications related regional emergency preparedness
· Volunteer amateur radio instructor and examiner at the University of B.C.