· Human resource consultant and President of J. Crowder and Associates
· Has served on the boards of the Pacific Childcare Society, the United Way, Volunteer Cowichan and the Chamber of Commerce
· An active member of the Council of Canadians
· Deeply involved with local communities in their opposition to a gas-fired power plant
· Earned a degree in Psychology, and completed a number of business courses
· Currently pursuing a post-baccalaureate diploma in Community Economic Development at Simon Fraser University
· Long-time resident of Nanaimo-Cowichan.