· Born in British Columbia and raised in Calgary and Ogema, Saskatchewan
· A journeyman welder and ironworker by trade, receiving awards for his skills
· Involved for over 30 years in the International Association of Bridge, Structural, Ornamental and Reinforcing Iron Worker Local Union 720 of Edmonton
· In recent years, turned his skills to ranching in the Chauvin area
· Deeply involved in provincial grassroots politics in Saskatchewan and Alberta for many years
· Volunteers as an interpreter for the deaf
· A publisher, editor, writer and researcher of a genealogical newsletter.