· Originally from the Central Interior of British Columbia, moved to Alberta as a member of the Canadian Armed Forces, serving as an infantryman-mechanic
· After leaving the military, began a new career in social services as a crisis counsellor, child and youth care counsellor, child protection worker and a behaviour specialist
· Most experience has been with First Nations individuals, families and communities, both on and off the reserve
· After many years of front line work, moved into policy development with Health Canada and Statistics Canada as a research assistant, working at all levels of social issues fostering a keen understanding and interest in government-community interactions
· Of Aboriginal descent and a member of the Lower Nicola Indian Band in Merritt, B.C.
· Currently finishing off a Bachelor of Arts degree in Social/Cultural Anthropology at the University of Lethbridge, focusing on Canadian urban Aboriginals
· Married to Denise for 13 years; they have a five-year-old son.