· Lawyer, teacher and community activist
· For the past five years, has worked in the corporate world, focussing on medical and legal education.
· Born in the Aspromonte region of Southern Italy; immigrated to Canada with her parents and siblings at the age of six; grew up in Northern Ontario
· Completed legal and doctoral studies at the University of Toronto
· Involved in community work from a young age, volunteering first as an educational aid to students with physical disabilities and then doing volunteer advocacy and law reform work on behalf of injured workers as a law student
· Worked for several years in child welfare law and in a law clinic providing legal representation and advocacy for low income persons and immigrants
· Served on a number of boards and committees with non-profit organizations, including A-Way, an organization that provides employment and life support services for psychiatric survivors
· Former Board member of the Robert Owen Foundation dedicated to promoting worker-owned businesses and co-operative living and housing
· While raising two sons, undertook graduate studies to allow her more time with family
· Completed doctoral studies under one of Canada’s pre-eminent scholars and progressive thinkers, Dr. Northrop Frye, about whom she has written and published extensively
· Taught for several years at both the high school and university levels
· Involved with a pioneering software company developing cutting edge educational tools utilizing new electronic technologies
· Married to Jake Brooks and has two sons.