· Outreach worker, volunteer and community leader
· Community social service worker for the past 12 years
· Outreach worker to the Portuguese Canadian community for the AIDS Committee of Toronto
· Executive Secretary of CUPE Local 2289
· Served as Executive Vice-President of the Alliance of Portuguese Clubs and Associations of Ontario
· Former acting Executive Director of the Hamilton AIDS Network
· While attending McMaster University, served on the Anti-Apartheid Committee that successfully forced the University to divest its holdings in South Africa
· Co-Chair of the Hamilton-Wentworth Regional Police Task Force on Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered Issues.