· Professional urban planner and community activist
· Earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Sociology from the University of Toronto and a Master of Arts degree in Urban and Regional Planning from the University of British Columbia
· Has worked as an urban planner for the Niagara Escarpment Commission and municipal and regional governments
· Has worked for DaimlerChysler and is a proud member of the CAW
· Active member of the Brampton Health Coalition, which has been fighting to stop the first P3 hospital in Canada
· Active in the community with Girl Guides of Canada, the Peel Literacy Guild and other charitable organizations
· Has lived with her husband Bill Winterhalt in Brampton for 27 years.