· Born in Montreal in 1935
· A lawyer, admitted to the Quebec Bar in 1957
· Elected youth representative to the NDP Executive at the founding convention in 1961
· Doctorate (D.E.S) in Economic Sciences from the Université de Paris
· First Director General of Manpower in the Government of Quebec; Director General of the Institut de Recherche et de Normalisation Économique et Scientifique (IRNES) and co-Vice President (Finance and Administration) of Groupe SNC (1975-1978)
· Vice President of International Affairs of the Société d'Exploitation des Ressources Éducatives du Québec (SEREQ) (1983-1985)
· Project manager, negotiator or expert counsello in numerous private and public projects in connection with multilateral and bilateral financial assistance to developing nations (OCDE, UNESCO, IBRD, CIDA, ADB, ECE)
· Member of Boards of Directors for a number of organizations, including Club 2/3, APCI, Acer International.