· Born in Valleyfield in the working class neighbourhood of Bellerive
· Received a Bachelor’s degree and a Master’s degree in Political Science from the Université Laval
· Lives in Saint Nicolas since 1989; married to Judith Papillon and father of four children -- Noémie, Laurent, Clémence et Juliette
· Worked in the Quebec University network for 15 years, after serving as Secretary-Treasurer for a municipality
· Widely published political analyst
· Coordinator of a “solidarity appeal” to university researchers to create multidisciplinary research teams throughout Quebec on issues related to the struggle against poverty.