· Nova Scotia’s first-ever black Member of Parliament
· Represented federal riding of Halifax West, 1997-2000
· Introduced a private members’ bill to establish ethical standards for Members of Parliament
· Deputy Minister, Nova Scotia Department of Housing and Consumer Affairs, 1994-1996
· Ombudsman for Manitoba, 1982-1993
· Set up the Nova Scotia Human Rights Commission's office and drafted Nova Scotia's first Human Rights Act, 1968
· Father of three, plus several foster children
· With his wife Jane, resides at Stillwater Lake, Halifax Regional Municipality.